Do Something Without Telling Anyone

...Until you have to. Try learning a new language, draw something, learn to code a website, sketch out a comic book, write a letter to the editor on a current issue, read an unfamiliar book, write your own book, start a journal, become an idea machine, etc. The list could stretch on endlessly.

The point is, try something new. Challenge yourself. Unleash your creativity.

One more thing: keep it quiet.

Don't post "So stoked to be learning some Spanish! Que pasa hombres? JAJA!" on Twitter and Facebook and pretend to be awesome. You'll never actually do it, and you'll end up regretting it.

Just do it for the sake of growing your capacity to learn and experiencing new things. It will be hard to keep it to yourself. Resist every urge to spill the beans! Your friends won't understand the secrecy, but that shouldn't make you break your silence.

Here is why the silence is worth it.

It will be a more personal experience.  So much of our lives are exposed to others, so we often miss out on the opportunity to feel a personal connection with anything we do. There is a certain satisfaction you'll feel afterward that is different from anything else.

If you fail, no one will know. You could try again or decide it's not for you and move on to the next one.

But the thing is, failure isn't a bad thing. We've been brought up learning that it will shame your reputation. It won't. Why? Because life is all about redo's. Think about this. Getting a hit 30% of the time is considered excellent in the MLB, and they are professionals. Why are they professional? Because they learn to handle failure the other 70% of the time.

When you're done, it's up to you whether or not to share your doings with your close friends. Either way, be happy you did something new. If you enjoyed it, do it more.

I try to have at least one thing like this going on at any moment. It can become an addictive escape. I spent a month trying to learn a new phrase in Portuguese every day and I sucked at it. But that's not the point. The point is trying something new regardless of how it ends up.

In fact, I just stopped my current "something" to finish writing this. I would tell you what it is, but that would kind of defeat the purpose, right?

Jake BowlesComment